Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Auditing is your friend.

Last semester, I discovered the beautiful art of auditing classes. Due to a lack of academic guidance and changing my minor four times, I have about 60 credits of class that don't count toward my degree. This meant I needed to petition to overstay my university's 140-credit limit, which I did, but this also meant I wouldn't be able to take any more classes for fun.

Or so I thought.

Then I found out what auditing is. To audit a class means to take it without receiving any credit. This also means you are not responsible for assignments or attendance(!). What's better, this means that I can take all of those extra writing classes I've wanted to enjoy but don't either (1) have the time to do the homework for, or (2) want to go every day.

My goal with auditing my classes is to have another minor's worth of courses done before graduation in April. There is a temptation not to go to class, so you have to be self-motivated and disciplined. Still, if you want to relax and soak up knowledge without the bureaucracy holding you back with things like grades or actually showing up every day, auditing's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment