Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Schedule a set time.

I came across an article on the Study Hacks blog about setting a time and place to write. There is a lot of great info about how to set a writing schedule on that blog—definitely worth a read—and it got me thinking about my own habits and the habits of the other writers I know. Here’s what’s worked for me and other students from my classes in maximizing our effective writing time.

  1. Write at the same time every day.  By doing this, you’re training your mind to start thinking at the same time daily, so it will start to give you ideas and produce creativity at the same daily time. This is a lot more convenient than having epiphanies at 4 in the morning when you’re in bed.

  2. Be consistent in your environment. This is kind of like the previous item. You’re training your brain to say, “Oh, this is where I write. I should get ready to produce now. Good plan.” Whether it’s an office, the kitchen table, or a desk in your bedroom, pick a consistent place to write so your mind associates that place with writing.

  3. Avoid distractions. Don’t go on Facebook. Don’t check your e-mail every 20 minutes. And don’t play around too much with your iTunes playlist. All of these things whittle away your time and mental resources and are more exhausting than they should be. If you need something going on in the background (I used to have a movie playing while I wrote; some people need music playing,) start it, and then get to writing.

  4. Keep an idea notebook with you at all times. This tip isn’t so much about your writing time as it is incredibly practical. All the great writers have some way to write down the ideas that come to them about their writing during the day. Sometimes, you’re eating bad Chinese food from the student food court and you get an idea for a story. Unless you’re gifted with an exceptionally great memory (I’m not,) then having something to write on will save you later from the frustration of a missed idea.

  5. Take breaks to stretch every hour or so. Sometimes I like taking a walk to get the old mind cleared. I’m a kinesthetic learning and need to move my large muscle groups. It gets me thinking. Sometimes other people don’t learn this way, though, and don’t need to move as much as I do. Still, it’s good to stretch and walk around a bit so your muscles don’t get cramped.

Have any ideas that work for you? Let me know in the comments for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment